The Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) is recruiting for short term consultancy – Surveillance Support Officers in 19 states
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is the government agency with the mandate to coordinate the surveillance, detection and response to infectious disease outbreaks.
Over the last three years, NCDC has deployed a new tool for disease surveillance. The Surveillance, Outbreak Response Management and Analysis System (SORMAS) is a system jointly developed between the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) to improve disease surveillance as well as detection and management of outbreaks and thus strengthen the public health service in Nigeria.
In addition, NCDC has also supported states in establishing Public Health Emergency Operations Centres for improved coordination of outbreak preparedness and response.
NCDC is investing resources in strengthening health security at the sub-national level including improving capacity to effectively prevent, detect and respond to infectious disease outbreaks.
Location: Anambra, Akwa-Ibom, Kebbi, Borno, Osun, Enugu, Niger, Kwara, Benue, Gombe, Yobe, Adamawa, Jigawa, Ekiti, Kogi, Ogun, Cross River, Imo and Abia States
Start Date: April 20, 2020
End Date: October 19, 2020
Employment type: Full time
The Responsibilities of the NCDC Surveillance Support Officer Include
• Support the implementation of SORMAS in the state
• Support the state epidemiologist in developing and implementing outbreak preparedness and response activities
• Support the state epidemiologist in strengthening coordination between surveillance and laboratory teams
• Provide technical leadership to the State surveillance team on the use of surveillance data for data driven decision making
• Provide mentoring, support and supervision to LGA DSNOs and asst. DSNOs on data collection and data entry using the SORMAS tool
• Work with state epidemiologist, state DSNO and others as indicated to analyse collected surveillance data and provide feedback
• Support the appropriate use of the SORMAS tools and troubleshoot problems
• Coordinate disease surveillance project evaluation activities at the state
• Support the activities of the state public health EOC
• Liaise with the NCDC Surveillance Department to provide regular feedback
• Undertake any other tasks assigned by the NCDC Director of Surveillance
At least 6 years’ experience with the Nigeria’s surveillance system or Monitoring and Evaluation or Field research
First degree in Human Medicine, Veterinary medicine, Public Health or any health or biological science related discipline.
Master’s degree (preferable in public health)
FELTP training will be an added advantage.
Experience working with SORMAS tool or any other surveillance tool.
Must be domiciled in the state of assignment.
Experience in managing surveillance data at LGA or state level.
Proficiency in use of Microsoft office suite and Epi info or SPSS.
Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required.
Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems.
Ability to communicate technical issues effectively.
Good verbal communication skills in the local language of the state of assignment and working knowledge of English.
A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should apply by sending their resume and a cover letter addressing the job requirements as per the advertisement by email to email@example.com before COB April 17, 2020 using the Job title and the preferred state as the subject of the mail e.g. ‘’Surveillance Support Officer- Anambra State’’
*Note-only successful candidates will be contacted and may be assigned to any state of the federation.