You dont have javascript enabled! Please enable it!

Two polytechnic staff electrocuted in Ekiti

Two staff of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti were on Tuesday died of electrocution while carrying out their statutory duties in the institution.

Electrocution, Ado Ekiti
Electrocution, Ado Ekiti

An eyewitness revealed to journalists in Ado Ekiti that the victims were staff of the Department of Works and were said to have died while working on a defective borehole on campus.

The deceased, whose identities have not been unveiled were natives of Ado-Ekiti while the other victim hailed from Kogi State.

The source recounted that the deceased while working on the borehole had made attempt to remove the galvanised pipe for repair when the mistake was made and died on the spot.

He said, ” As they were removing the pipe, they didn’t know that it has gone up to the extent that it could touch a high tension wire around the area.

“Immediately the pipe touched the high tension wire, there was a huge spark that caused electrocution of the two men.

“Their bodies were charred by the effect of the electrocution while other support workers were flung to a far distance, but did not die  nor sustain any  serious bodily injuries.”

When contacted, the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Adeyemi Adejolu, confirmed the incident, saying the staff died while performing their duties.

“It is true that they got electrocuted while performing their duties. It is a sad and regrettable incident that the Polytechnic will regret for a long long time.”

Adejolu added that the victim from Kogi state had been taken to his home town for immediate burial while the family of the other deceased had been contacted.


Related Articles


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.